A 50, 55 or even 60 gallon fish tank or aquarium might seem like overkill, but there are many instances where you might require one. For example, if you’re serious about keeping fish and you want to keep them happy, then you’ll definitely need an aquarium which is around the size of 55 gallons (or at least around that!). But if you’re going to have a fish tank of that size, you’ll also need a stand that can handle the weight. These plastic and glass tanks are available in a variety of dimensions, shapes and materials, but they’re all between 50-60 gallons, and they’re all for fish! There is also a brief guide which shows you how to set up and maintain your fish tank once you get it.
We’ve split this post up into 3 sections – 50 gallon, 55 gallon and 60 gallon. If you’re still in the market for a larger fish tank but these dimensions seem a bit too big, check out our 40 gallon page. Use this table of contents to find the fish tank or aquarium that is relevant to the size you need (or feel free to scroll down and simply browse):
- 1 50 Gallon Fish Tanks & Aquariums
- 1.1 55 Gallon Fish Tanks & Aquariums
- 1.1.1 Marineland 55 gallon long aquarium kit, 50.1 inch length
- 1.1.2 Full acrylic 360 cylinder aquarium 55 gallon
- 1.1.3 55 gallon glass fish tank, standard dimensions
- 1.1.4 55 Gallon Clear for Life Hexagon Aquarium
- 1.1.5 Marco 55 Gallon Upright Aquarium Stand
- 1.1.6 Top Fin Aquarium Starter Kit – 55 Gallons
- 1.1.7 Marineland 56 Gallon Column Aquarium Ensemble
- 1.1.8 Marineland 55 Gallon BioWheel Aquarium Kit
- 1.2 60 Gallon Fish Tanks & Aquariums
|55 Gallon||Rectangle UniQuarium||ClearForLife||36 x 15 x 20|
|50 Gallon||Pentagon UniQuarium||ClearForLife||24 x 24 x 24|
|50 Gallon||Rectangle Aquarium||ClearForLife||15 x 36 x 20|
|50 Gallon||Aquarium Kit||SeaClear||36 x 15 x 20|
|55 Gallon||Aquarium Kit||MarineLand||50.1 x 15 x 23.1|
|55 Gallon||Cylinder Aquarium||Vepotek||23.5 x 23.5 x 67|
|55 Gallon||Glass Fish Tank||Carolina Supply||48 × 13 × 20|
|55 Gallon||Hexagon Aquarium||ClearForLife||25 x 29 x 24|
|55 Gallon||Aquarium Stand||Marco||49.37 x 13.12 x 28.25|
|55 Gallon||Aquarium Kit||Top Fin||12.75 x 48.25 x 20|
|55 Gallon||Aquarium Ensemble||MarineLand||18 x 30 x 24|
|55 Gallon||Aquarium Kit||MarineLand||15 x 50.5 x 23.5|
|60 Gallon||Rectangle Aquarium||ClearForLife||15 x 48 x 18|
|60 Gallon||Heartland Ensemble||MarineLand||12.75 x 48.5 x 25|
|60 Gallon||Heartland LED||MarineLand||12.75 x 48.5 x 25|
50 Gallon Fish Tanks & Aquariums
50 Gallon Rectangle UniQuarium
‘UniQuarium’ is a term used to describe a fish tank or aquarium that has built in filtration, which can be very useful for fish keepers who don’t want to mess around with their own filters. This 50 gallon Uniquarium is from ClearForLife, who specialize in this type of fish tank. It’s what I would describe as a ‘no nonsense’ fish tank – it’s 50 gallons, it’s rectangular and it’s well made. If all you’re looking for is a large fish tank that’ll keep your fish happy and give them enough room to be happy, this is the tank for you. Here is a quick rundown of the main features of this aquarium:
- Available in one color – blue!
- Comes with in-built filtration – ensures the cleanliness of the water
- Qualifies for free shipping!
- Acrylic – a stronger and lighter material than glass (plus safer too)
- Suitable for freshwater, saltwater and reef
For more information about this product, simply click the button below.
50 Gallon Pentagon UniQuarium
This is another Uniquarium from ClearForLife, meaning it has built in filtration. A ‘pentagon’ fish tank like this is perfect for fish keepers who have limited space in their homes, as it has corners which allow it to fit into places where normal shaped fish tanks can’t. Essentially what this means is that you can keep the aquarium in places where you wouldn’t normally be able to fit a standard rectangular fish tank. This is a 50 gallon fish tank, so if you’re struggling for space in your home but need a large tank like this for your fish, then maybe this tank could work for you. For more information about aquariums like this, check out our corner fish tanks page. Here is a quick rundown of the main features of this aquarium:
- Available in 3 colors – 2 shades of blue and black
- 50 gallons
- Acrylic – generally safer than glass (especially if the tank was to fall over) and acts as a good insulator
- Made by Clear-For-Life – one of the most popular fish tank manufacturers in the world
Clear for life 50 Gallon Rectangle Aquarium
This is another of our 50 gallon fish tanks, and it’s a great one! Available in 2 colors (black or white) , this aquarium is perfect for larger species of fish, and for people who have a decent amount of space in their home. Made by SeaClear, this tank is well made and perfect for beginners or more advanced fish keepers. Here is a quick rundown of the main features of this aquarium:
- Made from acrylic – a resilient and easy to maintain material
- Comes with a ‘skimmer box’ – this serves a number of purposes, including handling the filtration of the tank, and ensuring that the correct amount of water is in the aquarium at all times (which is perfect for a 50 gallon tank!)
- Dimensions – 15 inches long, 36 inches high, 20 inches high
- Made by SeaClear – a trusted fish tank company
- Qualifies for free shipping!
SeaClear 50 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium Kit
This is another 50 gallon aquarium from SeaClear, which has sold out pretty quickly over on Amazon. It has many of the same features as the other SeaClear fish tanks that we’ve included in this list, except this is a full kit so includes a few things that the other entrants don’t include. Here is a quick rundown of the other features that the tank has:
- Full kit – includes 50 gallon aquarium and accessories
- Light system – Powerful LED lights
- Reflector – optimizes the light produced from the light system to make the tank even brighter
- Acrylic – making the tank much lighter than if it was made of glass but still strong
- 36 x 15 x 20 inches
- 20 pounds in weight
55 Gallon Fish Tanks & Aquariums
Marineland 55 gallon long aquarium kit, 50.1 inch length
This is a very affordable tank (considering it is 55 gallons!), and is great for anyone who doesn’t need anything too fancy. The pictures associated with this fish tank might not be the best (unfortunately the seller hasn’t taken many), but if you check out the reviews over on Amazon you’ll actually see that there’s a fair amount of pictures from people who’ve bought the tank themselves. It’s made from glass, is easy to clean and comes complete with a few added extras:
- LED Lighting
- Penguin 350 BIO-Wheel Power Filter and Rite Size filter cartridge
- Fish net
- Fish food
- Water care samples
- Setup guide
So as you can see, you get a lot of bang for your buck with this tank! The Penguin bio-wheel filter provides quiet but very effective water flow, which helps to make the water safe for fish. The kit also come with fish net (so you can catch your fish if you need to!), thermometer (so you can keep the tank at a safe temperature), food and water care samples (always good!) and setup guide (so you know what you’re doing!).
The lighting is integrated securely into the hood, and although they don’t have a timer option, but instead a 3-way manual switch (white, off, blue) that correspond to 3 different lighting modes.
Full acrylic 360 cylinder aquarium 55 gallon
This is a slightly more stylish tank, and wouldn’t look out of place in an art gallery! But if this catches your eye then you can have it in your home. Not only will it act as a great conversation piece, it will also keep your fish happy, healthy and safe as it is very well made and rigorously tested. Here’s what you get with the tank:
This cylinder 55 gallon fish tank has a stainless steel stand and canopy, which gives it a very stylish look! The fact that it’s 360 means that you can see your fish from all angles – perfect for showing them off!
- High strength acrylic
- Stand & canopy
- Compact & light
- Filtration system and pump
- Bio ball
- Air pump
55 gallon glass fish tank, standard dimensions
This is a pretty basic, no frills fish tank, but it does exactly what you need it to do. It will provide you with 55 gallons of space for your fish, in a safe glass tank. It’s perfect for any fish owner who already has everything they need to get started.
The nice heavy thick glass make this a very strong and sturdy tank, and as long as you have your own filter, heater and thermometer – this is all you need!
This tank is produced by the Carolina Biological Supply Company, who are a leading supplier of science-related products. You can return and get a refund back for the tank if you aren’t completely satisfied with it. Here is a quick rundown of the main features:
- Triple strength clear glass
- Nonreactive with seawater
55 Gallon Clear for Life Hexagon Aquarium
Sold by PetSmart, this hexagon aquarium is the perfect home for any larger species of fish that you may look after. At 55 gallons, there’s more than enough room in this tank to hold larger fish, or if you’re breeding you could add a divider and keep different species together in here. We’re huge fans of the design, and think that the hexagon shape is perfect for fish who like a bit of privacy. What many people don’t talk about is how important corners are for fish – they love hiding in them! If you fill this tank with decorations and plants, then they’ll be able to hide in any corner they want. Perfect for shy fish like Bettas!
- Available in 2 shades of blue
- Suitable for freshwater and saltwater fish
Marco 55 Gallon Upright Aquarium Stand
It wouldn’t be much good to have a large 55 gallon aquarium or fish tank without a sturdy stand that could handle the weight properly! Luckily Petsmart also have a great stand to support these massive aquariums, including this Marco stand. Available in black, brown or red, you can choose whichever color matches your home best. The most important thing about this stand is that it will keep your fish safe and sound!
- Made from strong fiberboard
- Coated with attractive laminate for protection
- Supports the entire tank rather than just the corners (like many other stands)
- 2 doors at the front
- Open back for easy wiring
Top Fin Aquarium Starter Kit – 55 Gallons
If you’re a beginner and you’re needing a large aquarium to get started on your fish keeping adventure, then look no further than this 55 gallon starter kit from Top Fin. It comes with pretty much everything you need to get started, including:
- 200w UL heater – so you can create the perfect environment for your fish
- Strip thermometer – to make sure that the aquarium remains at a comfortable and safe temperature for your fish
- Hood with LED lights – so your fish tank is light and attractive to look at
- Filter (comes with 2 cartridges) – essential to ensure the cleanliness of the water
- 6 inch net – handy for cleaning
- And a useful starter guide full of essential fish keeping information!
Marineland 56 Gallon Column Aquarium Ensemble
Technically this is 56 gallons, but we’ve included it regardless! In terms of pictures that we’ve included in this list, surely this one takes the prize for ‘most random’. But don’t get distracted by the dartboard or whatever that thing on the table is – we’re going to be talking about this awesome aquarium, which is the only 56 gallon entry in this list. It’s quite a specific size and I’m not sure why Marineland didn’t just make it 55 gallons like the others, but regardless we’ve included it. Here are the main features:
- Tall column design – perfect for homes with little children or pets running around who you want to keep well out of reach of your fish tank!
- Longer than it is wide – designed to fit in tighter areas, but still allows the tank to be seen clearly
- Cabinet space – ideal for storing items like fish nets, dividers and food.
- Glass – heavier than acrylic but still looks great
- Tank dimensions – 18 inches long, 30 inches wide, 24 inches high
- Stand dimensions – 19 inches long, 31 inches wide, 29.5 inches high
Marineland 55 Gallon BioWheel Aquarium Kit
This is another aquarium starter kit, and although we’ve included the 55 gallon variety, you could also get a 20 or 29 gallon kit from Marineland. The idea of this kit is to allow you to build an entire world for your fish, and everything you could need to make this a reality is included. With your purchase, you’ll get:
- Stylized hood – designed to reduce water evaporation, which ensures that all 55 gallons stay exactly where they need to be!
- LED lighting system – creates a visually stunning environment for your fish
- Penguin 350 BioWheel Power Filter – a powerful filter (with an awesome name) to keep your fish tank water clean
- Submersible heater with thermometer – helps to create a comfortable water temperature for your fish
- Rite-Size B Filter Cartridges
- TetraMin Tropical Food Sample – the perfect food to start your fish on
- Aquarium size – 15 inches long, 50.5 inches wide, 23.5 inches high
60 Gallon Fish Tanks & Aquariums
Clear For Life 60 Gallon Rectangular Aquarium
This is another aquarium from Clear For Life, who are specialists in creating large fish tanks (as you’re probably realizing from this list!). This aquarium is pretty much the same as the other Clear For Life entries in this list, expect it’s 60 gallons. Aside from that, here is rundown of the main features:
- Built-in filtration – ensures the safety of water
- Acrylic – safer and lighter than glass
- Available in blue, which makes the tank look even brighter
- Qualifies for free shipping!
Marineland 60 Gallon Heartland Ensemble
This is a very highly rated aquarium, with an average score of 4.4 stars out of 5 from over 100 reviews. It’s a 60 gallon fish tank, but comes as an ‘ensemble’, which essentially means that it includes a cabinet underneath the tank. This is really useful as you can store things like fish nets and food beneath your tank, so you don’t have to find extra room elsewhere in your home for these items. Here is what else you get with this giant aquarium:
- Fluorescent lighting – makes your fish and decorations stand out from the background
- Stand/Cabinet – fish tank cabinets can save you masses of space
- Glass tank – means that this aquarium is slightly heavier than the acrylic aquariums in the list
- Tank – 12.75 inches long, x 48.5 inches wide, 25 inches high
Marineland 60 Gallon Heartland LED Aquarium (with stand)
This is another large fish tank from Marineland, and what I like best about this product is how the good the accompanying image is! I feel like the fact that it includes fish in the tank as well as a few different decorations and ornaments really gives you an idea of what this aquarium looks like when it is fully set up. But probably the main reason we love this massive 60 gallon aquarium is because of all the added extras that you get with it. Here is what you get with your purchase:
- Large front panel – this aquarium is designed to show your fish off!
- Glass canopy – so you get a 360 view of your fish
- LED light system – creates a visually stunning environment for your fish
- Stand – black in color and sturdy enough to support all 60 gallons of your fish tank
- Tank size – 12.75 inches long, 48.5 inches wide, 25 inches high
- Stand size – 14.25 inches 50 inches wide x 30 inches high
Hopefully this guide has given you a good idea of which 50, 55 and 60 gallon fish tanks and aquariums we believe to be the best choice for anybody who wants to provide a comfortable and safe environment for their fish. We also included the stand just to ensure that you’d have somewhere to display your new fish tank proudly!